NRA firearm safety rules
Three Fundamental Rules for Safe Gun Handling
1 Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2 Always keep you finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3 Always keep the gun unloaded * until ready to use.
Eight Rules for Using and Storing A Gun
1. Know your target and what is beyond.
2. Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
3. Know how to use your gun safely.
4. Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
5. Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
6. Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
7. Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
8. Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.
*"Unloaded" means NO ammunition in the firearm what so ever.